The New York Yankees are by all accounts the most successful franchise in Major League history, with countless legendary moments and accolades achieved by dozens of All-Stars and Hall of Fame players.
With 27 championships on their résumé, the Bombers have thrived off the incredible efforts of some of baseball's all-time greatest players, and here now we'll take a look back at some of the finest single-season performances the Yankees have seen over the years.
From Babe Ruth's legendary 14-WAR season in 1923 to Gary Sanchez's All-Star campaign in 2019, this list runs the gamut from past Yankees legends to modern stars and everyone in between.
For now we'll focus on offensive seasons, position by position, starting behind the dish. (Players in bold denote Hall of Famers, and all listed players played at least 75 percent of games at that position - minimum 100 PA for BA).
- BA: .362 - Bill Dickey, 1936
- H: 192 - Yogi Berra, 1950
- HR: 34 - Gary Sanchez, 2019
- RBI: 133 - Bill Dickey, 1937
- BA: .379 - Lou Gehrig, 1930
- H: 238 - Don Mattingly, 1986
- HR: 49 - Lou Gehrig, 1934 and 1936
- RBI: 184 - Lou Gehrig, 1931
- BA: .354 - Tony Lazzeri, 1929
- H: 209 - Alfonso Soriano, 2002
- HR: 39 - Alfonso Soriano, 2002
- RBI: 118 - Robinson Cano, 2011
- BA: .342 - Wade Boggs, 1994
- H: 213 - Red Rolfe, 1939
- HR: 54 - Alex Rodriguez, 2007
- RBI: 156 - Alex Rodriguez, 2007
- BA: .349 - Derek Jeter, 1999
- H: 219 - Derek Jeter, 1999
- HR: 27 - Didi Gregorius, 2018
- RBI: 107 - Lyn Lary, 1931
- BA: .393 - Babe Ruth, 1923
- H: 231 - Earle Combs, 1927
- HR: 61 - Roger Maris, 1961
- RBI: 168 - Babe Ruth, 1921
For more on the Yankees offseason developments, be sure to check your local listings for the latest Yankees Hot Stove episodes airing all winter long on YES.